Season Wrap-Up: Boys Varsity Soccer

Harry Robbins, Staff Writer

The Friends Seminary Boys Varsity soccer team had a season to remember. The Owls soared in the ACIS division, losing only one game and claiming the league championship. Their strong performance was enough to qualify the team for the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) tournament, for the first time since 2016, as the fifth seed. Unfortunately, the Owls fell short against Riverdale in a heartbreaking loss during their first game of the state tournament. Although it was not the way the team wanted the season to end, the upper school witnessed a powerful and inspiring season. The team knocked off Grace Church from atop the league tables with no problem and dominated their rival Packer, beating them for the first time in five years.

The leadership of the three senior captains undeniably helped coach Warren Salandy’s squad have a great season. The captains reflected on their experiences of the season and their time with the team through their four years. When asked what he would miss most about playing for Friends, Henry Grieco ‘23 said, “Building a bond with a group of guys and playing with the school’s name across my chest. Wherever I go that will make me proud.” Romeo Anders ‘23 added on, “It really is all about the bonds we create as a group.” Goalkeeper Jack Reynolds ‘23  agreed with his fellow captains and remarked on the overall spirit the team carried. “Dealing with so many injuries this season was really tough, but this whole group was so dedicated and everyone stepped up when they needed to. It was true grit.” 

Although the Owls will be losing 9 senior student-athletes, the future is bright as there are many young, talented players who will continue to play on the Varsity squad. All three captains have confidence in what the team can become. Reynolds enthusiastically stated, “I believe we can be the best team in the state for years to come.” Anders was hopeful that the team could carry on the momentum from this past season, saying, “I hope the team can finish what we started and bring home the state championship to where it belongs.” Regardless of where things are headed for the Owls, this historic season will certainly be one that is remembered by students and faculty for years to come.